Call me the eternal optimist, but why not? In my perfect world, there would be equal opportunity media coverage for plus size fashion as well as the straight size fashion community. But while I could blanketly say plus size fashion, there are certain subjects within plus size fashion that should have more coverage rather than done sensationally!
Plus size fashion has evolved immensely from just five years ago! So, NOW is an even better time to shine light on a community that has seen steady growth, throughout the recession, outgrowing mainstream fashion!
So what plus size topics that need more coverage in the media? In the US, more specifically? Being that I am plus size fashion blogger, I will have a fashion slant to them, but putting on my business hat as well, here is what I came up with:
Plus Size Media Topics We Need More Of
- The evolution of plus size fashion
- The new it designers in plus size fashion
- What a plus size woman looks like today
- The rise of the plus size fashion blogger
- Social Media and the plus size community
- Sizeism–the last acceptable form of discrimination (except in San Francisco- there’s a law for that)
- Plus Size Models reflecting todays plus size woman
- The spending power of the plus size woman
- Plus size fashion from a plus perspective
- Confidence, Body Image, and the Plus Size Woman
These are story ideas I would love to see cross the likes of Fashionista, Elle, Glamour, Marie Claire, The Cut, L.A Times on a regular basis, not when a story has been sensationalized by an outrage, ignorant blunder, or financial motive.
However, we live in a world where the media and industry still treats plus size as an anomaly- poking at it because it looks cool, but afraid to be the first one to embrace it out of fear of acceptance from their peers.
This is where myself and other fashion bloggers and magazines from the plus perspective come in.
While mainstream media is learning and watching, we continue (the plus size industry and its supporters including Vogue Curvy Italia, Jezebel, and Refinery 29) to make strides, challenge the status quo and dare to be fabulous- because if we don’t who will? And more importantly within the US?
What are some topics you would love to see more of in the media? More topics I can share with you? Sound off
Am I being too naïve to wish this list?